The Plant Hire division of the Coates Group provide construction companies with equipment to rent i.e. diggers, cranes and other building equipment.
The Plant Hire industry generally is heavily lacking in software innovation. Lewis, Coates’ CEO realised that there were numerous opportunities to improve the business that would decrease costs, increase ability to scale and if built initially for Coates could be sold and licensed out to other firms.
Among the issues include:
- Pen and Carbon Paper transaction and invoice logging
- Lewis needed to meet the delivery drivers regularly to retrieve their paper invoices and transaction contracts
- Invoices need to be entered manually into accounting software. Increasing admin time for each appointment
- Appointments and delegation of jobs are organised using phone calls and text messages, which led to a higher chance of missed appointments or mistakes
HOW WE DEVELOPED THEIR SOLUTION
Over two workshops we got to know the Coates business and understand which problems were the lowest hanging fruit.
We created a roadmap of features that Lewis and team wanted to see implemented and thought from a wider lens about how or what others in the industry would want to see in a solution.
We used this conversation and developed:
- A roadmap
- A flow of what the app would look like